Chiropractic Care and Pelvic Pain
The pelvis is designed to provide stability and protection to the center of the body. When our core is strong and organs, like the bladder, reproductive system, and lower digestive tract, are well supported it allows for optimal daily function. Ultimately, the pelvis provides adequate shock absorption and weight distribution (in coordination with the spine). The pelvis and all of its surrounding connective tissues is complex to say the least. Thus, when you experience a bout of pelvis pain, it can be hard to pinpoint the exact cause and quickly affect quality of life.
Today, we will dive into some of the causes of pelvic pain and why chiropractic care is a great holistic treatment option for addressing it.
Pelvic Pain Causes
When it comes to pelvis pain, there are a large variety of underlying root causes that could be leading to the symptoms you are experiencing- some of these more obvious than others. A few of these causes require immediate medical attention to prevent more serious long term consequences for your overall health. Below is a list of potential reasons for pelvic pain to consider:
- Spine misalignment that puts unnecessary strain on the nervous system, pelvis, and other surrounding areas
- Sustaining a direct injury from a slip and fall, motor vehicle accident, or other high impact incident
- Bladder or kidney infection
- Pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, fibrosis, ovarian cysts, or other health related issues of the female reproductive system
- Dysfunction of the pubic symphysis- a small joint in the front of the pubic bone that can become sore and inflamed
- Dysfunction of the sacroiliac joints (SI)- the two joints in the lower back (under the back dimples) where the low back and pelvis come together
- Weakness or strain of the core muscles
- Changes in pelvic stability secondary to pregnancy or obesity
From the list above, it is clear that most pain related issues in the pelvis are caused by anatomical imbalances and faulty movement mechanics. However, if you think your pain might be related to your organ health, talk to your doctor immediately for further medical advice. Symptoms to be concerned about that require immediate attention include severe pain, fever, nausea, and vomiting.
Chiropractic Care and Pelvic Pain
In reality, the pelvis is very much a part of the spine because of the way it seamlessly connects and interacts with the lower back. The very bottom of the spine, the sacrum, is composed of 5 fused vertebrae that directly connect to the large bones of the pelvis. Thus, when dealing with pain it’s often hard to differentiate the low back pain and pelvis since there are a lot of overlapping anatomical structures (like the Si joints). A chiropractor is a spine expert and understands how the pelvis and spine are intricately connected.
After an initial assessment, your chiropractor can help determine the cause of your pain and pelvic dysfunction. They can then work with you to design a treatment plan that will help restore balance to the pelvis. When the pelvis is in a better state of homeostasis, it allows for proper healing and movement to occur. This will help give you immediate pain relief while also giving you long term results with less risk of a relapse.
Chiropractic treatment options may include the following:
- Spine and pelvis adjustments to promote optimal alignment and healing potential
- Manual therapy to reduce stiffness and pain, plus allow better tolerance for other treatment options
- Pain relief modalities such as electrical stimulation, light therapy, traction, and more
- Exercise training to promote better core/pelvic strength and coordination
- Posture training to enhance spine alignment and reduce risk of future chronic pain problems
- Lifestyle recommendations to optimize your overall health and reduce strain on the musculoskeletal system- such as sleep habits, exercise, diet, and stress management
Balance within the Pelvis
Feeling in control of your pelvis pain all starts with understanding the true root cause of the issue. From there, an appropriate and holistic plan of care can be initiated for the best possible outcomes. Often, pelvis pain caused by issues like a car accident or pregnancy are written off as not requiring any formal care. This can lead to suffering unnecessarily or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, too invasive of treatments such as heavy medications with side effects, injections, or even surgery.
Holistic pelvic care is a great way to manage your pain without unnecessary interventions. If you are in the area, get a hold of the entire team at North Alabama Spine and Rehab – North Alabama Chiropractor to address your spine and pelvis concerns. Regardless of whether your pain is caused by pregnancy, an injury, or something unknown- they can help you devise a plan that helps you feel better as soon as possible.